It wasn’t until I sat down to write this today that I realized the last time I blogged was exactly one month ago — sorry!
At this point, I would typically say something to the effect of “life got in the way”. My latest self-improvement tasks include working very hard to change the way I view things. Therefore, life didn’t “get in the way”…I was just taking the time to enjoy life so I can keep giving you all what you subbed to see 🙂
As women, we wear so many different hats — mommy hats, wifey hats, boss hats, etc. On top of that, it is the expectation that we not only wear all of these hats at the same time but we wear each hat flawlessly. Oh and I forgot to add that we expected to do all of this with a smile.
Over the past few weeks, I have finally gotten a chance to sit down and really think about how I would like to prioritize my time going forward. I have always tried to do it all…literally. The truth is, that’s just not reality and I will never be able to enjoy life fully if I keep trying to do it all.
When it comes to making decisions about how to spend my time, I start with thinking about these things —
1. Do I really want to do this? — Many times we say “yes” just to pacify others. Am I doing it for your satisfaction or for someone else’s?
2. What value will doing this add to my life? — How will my life be better by participating?
3. Am I going for myself or for someone else? —This is a fairly simple one. As moms, it’s not always about us. However, that doesn’t mean we have to do everything we are faced with. This is especially important if my participation may make everyone else around me miserable.
4. Am I okay with that? — Every now and then we have to take more than one for the team. Just make sure this is the one you are willing to take.
5. Will I be okay with missing this? — Will life go on if I don’t go? Yes, it absolutely will. I just have to decide if I’m okay with how it goes on.
This list can get much longer depending on what is at stake. At the end of the day, my goal is to live my best life…and I can’t do that if every move is for everyone else except me. This should be your goal as well. Don’t get so caught up trying to please others that you forget the value of your time. Life is precious and we only have one life to live. Use your time wisely — your future self will thank you.